Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My new heroes

For as long as I can remember I have counted the many parents of children who have Autism I know as my heroes. These moms and dads have sacrificed so much on a daily and long term basis in order to provide everything that they believe can help their children. They love their children with such fervor, and take such pride in each milestone. Milestones it takes some neurotypical children seconds, minutes or days to grasp, it takes these children weeks, months or years. Yet these parents just keep loving and supporting. Even when they are covered in poop, literally. Even when their child screams forever at walmart. Even when strangers give them "that look".  These people are amazing, and I swear they deserve superhero capes.


A few weeks ago, I found some new heroes. Their battles aren't usually as long lasting, however, these parents are every bit the fighter that parents of those with Autism are. They are the NICU parents. Parent who see their brand new babies hooked up to impossible amounts of tubes. Parents who can't hold or touch the little one that they fell in love with over the past several months of pregnancy. Parents who barely eat, sleep, or breathe for days, weeks, or months on end as they tirelessly spend every second possible doing whatever they are allowed to do for their child. Moms, who have to ask permission to touch their new baby. Dad's who have to watch as nurse place ivs and feeding tubes in their tiny little ones. Moms who pump their breasts raw in order to provide any amount of milk they can for their fragile little ones. Parents who leave the hospital, day after day, without that infant in their arms. DJ and I barely got a taste of this life, but let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I have ever done. The parents who were there longer than us, who had tinier babies than us, who had sicker babies than us, I just wanted to hug each and every one of them. What an initiation into parenthood. Some of them were so young. All of them were so tired, and scared. Yet in each one I saw insurmountable love. Heroes for parents, and these sick little ones need them.


The Lord allows every trial for a reason, I don't claim to know those reasons. But I do claim the verse that says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Because goodness, I have seen some people, who have done all things, and then some. Pray for those parents and children in these situations when you think about it, I know I do.






Alexander, January 21, 2011












Max January 21,2011

No comments: